Saturday, July 05, 2008

A Mixed 4th

July 5, 2008 - Saturday

Mixed 4th
Current mood: peeved


Every year for 5 or 6 years now, I've performed as Uncle Sam at the Thorntonfest 4th of July Celebrations here in Colorado. Last night was no difference 6pm - 8:30pm walkin around getting folks in the mood - waving, saying "hi", passing out candy... the standard routine. I love it!
http://www.cityofthornton.net/rec/4thofjuly.asp

First, the good stuff! This year they presented the travelling Vietnam War Veterans Memorial. http://www.thorntonveteransmemorial.org/news/index.html Wow! Truly a moving experience! I haven't yet seen the original in Washington DC, and this 3/5ths scale replica was just incredible! http://www.travelingwall.us/

The fireworks display was the first in nearly 40 years that has brought me to the verge of tears! The accomapnying mix of music (Presented by KYGO radio http://www.kygo.com/home.cfm ) included expected favorites like "Proud To Be An American", but also mixed in Lonestar's "I'm Already There" (with phone calls from servicemembers' spouses and kids... telling how much they miss their loved ones etc...) and Toby Keith's "American Soldier." It was the single most moving 4th of July I've witnessed (including when I was a member of the Jaycees in Estes Park and helped launch the fireworks!) Thank heavens Tess was there. I've got only one more 4th of July with her before I deploy, so every emotion was a bit cranked up!

Okay, now the moment of bitching, whining, and disgust. For the last few years I've had people "earn" their candy by answering simple American trivia questions (Name the three branches of government, who's the current Vice President, who was the first Vice President... what 3 presidents died on the 4th of July....etc....). Every year I've had to make the question a little bit easier than the last. This year it was disgusting! I had adults who didn't know the current President!!!! I kid you not!!! I understand GW Bush has only been in the Oval Office for 7 whole years, so they might have missed that bit of "trivia." A couple of times, my frustration got the better of me and I let it slip "You don't actually VOTE do you??? Please tell me 'No'!" It gets sadder and sadder!! But it certainly explains why some folks out there actually consider Obama potential Presidental material! ::::: shaking head ::::::: It's so depressing! As I told Tess last night after the fireworks, I love this country SO much! The more you learn about how it was formed, what it stands for, what we have fought and died for, you just love it more and more!!!! And to see folks that don't have the foggiest notion or the simplist facts about our government and its history.... it's sad!!! It's like watching someone who's looking at a Ferrari but doesn't have a clue about motorized transportation! ("so the wheels turn and it moves? Yeah but red is such an outrageous color! I don't like it. It's ugly trash!")

I definately have two loves... Tess and the US of A!


Currently listening :
Elv1s 30 #1 Hits
By Elvis Presley
Release date: 2002-09-24

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are encouraged. I enjoy a good debate. However, you MUST have the courage of your convictions! "Anonymous" posters may be deleted